Monday, September 14, 2015

Week 4- Dog Walk Planning/ Poses

This week we started getting into studying quadrupeds. The lectures were really interesting to watch during the quadruped studies- seeing the difference in how different types of animals move based on their anatomy and weight, and even based on whether they're herbivores or carnivores. Next week we are starting our dog walk blocking, so this week our assignment was to plan out the walk by finding reference videos and drawing the basic poses.


I have never animated anything with 4 legs before, and even just researching the poses for planning proved that this was going to be very difficult. Derek said my planning looked pretty good, he just thought I may have had one too many poses and slightly adjusted where some of the paws were. He also noted that the legs should be making a pattern of 3 feet on the ground, to 2 feet on the ground, back to 3, etc.


The other part of our assignment this week was to draw dynamic animal poses and choose two to pose in Maya. Since I was going to be using the dog character Sloan, I drew all dog poses.


As usual, it was pretty hard to find dynamic poses that were also original and not overdone. I chose these two because I felt that I hadn't really seen them from other students and I thought they were pretty clear. The scratching made a nice silhouette and the pulling leash pose had a nice line of action. Here's how the scratching pose turned out


Derek liked that I chose this pose and said it looks great. He didn't have much to say but suggested I could turn the chest more so his head wasn't stretching as much. He also said I could add a little more curl to the foot that's underneath him just to give it a little more shape, but other than that everything looked great. So I made those little changes. Here's the pulling pose in 3D


Derek said this pose looked awesome and he didn't even need the leash to know what was happening. He said it's really solid with a nice silhouette and didn't have much to say. He suggested I could angle him up a little more, but it wasn't necessarily better he just thought I could try it for variation and see if I liked it.


I tried angling the dog up more like Derek suggested, but I felt that it weakened the sense of him really pulling on the leash, so ultimately I left it the same. This is how they turned out



No comments:

Post a Comment