Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Week 5- Assignment #4 Part 1

This week we had the chance to revise our light/heavy ball assignment based off of our mentor's critique. Overall he liked my assignment and the changes I made, but he did say I went a little too far with the spacing on the ping pong ball. Now it looks a little strobey, but hopefully I'll get to revise it again for the end of term!


We also got another pose assignment- this week we had to convey "devastation". I thought this one would be really easy and that I could just pull from my own experiences and look at images of people getting really bad news. It was, however, pretty difficult- not only because it was hard to find poses that you didn't already see a million times, but also because people tend to roll up and close themselves off like shielding themselves when they're devastated and this made it hard to think of good silhouette and also his giant head kept getting in the way. I even took my own reference photos with my camera timer but I really needed a model! (You don't want see those pictures...) So I drew everything I could think of and then tried a few in 3D.


I ended up changing the pose that I picked once I had it in Maya until I felt like it was more interesting and had a better silhouette.


One thing my mentor said was he likes to stay away from fists with devastation because once we've reached that point, we've given up, we're passed the anger and aggravation. I thought that was a good point. He said maybe that arm can be across his body like he's comforting himself. He also said that there was probably too much strength in his right leg and when we're devastation we don't have any strength left. Here was his suggestion


And here's my final render. I still feel like I couldn't quite get his hand right. Maybe I'm crazy or maybe I can still go back and fix it if I get some time.


Real devastation...


No comments:

Post a Comment