Monday, May 4, 2015

Week 4- Assignment #3

For week 4, the first part of our assignment was to revise our bouncing ball based on the notes we received from our mentor. Here's how my revision turned out...


This was tough to get right because I had to key the rotation in a certain way to allow for the stretch and squash to happen when I wanted and for them to happen along the path of action (the arcs the ball makes). Mike gave me some more notes on the revision so hopefully I can make it perfect for the end of term progress reel!

Our main assignment for this week was to plan out and animate two balls of different weights. I decided to do a bowling ball and a ping pong ball because I like the contrast of movement. I found a couple reference videos online to get a feel for how each one moves. I tried to take the timing from the reference video to mark where I thought the keyframes should go. Here's what my planning looked like...



I crossed out the numbers and wrote in new ones after I had been animating in Maya because once I got in there I realized it didn't feel right and needed to be retimed. Basically the ping pong ball bounces more and higher, and the bowling ball bounces way less and comes to a settle a lot faster. Here's what my animation looked like..


The lighter ball ended up being a lot harder to execute than I thought it would. Mike ended up really liking my bowling ball and just suggested that I either ease way more slowly into the stop at the end or have it slightly overshoot and roll back a little bit to feel natural. For my light ball, he said the spacing made it seem more like a tennis ball, and to push the bounces further and give them more hang time to make it feel more airy. I realized looking back that it really did look like a tennis ball and that's what I couldn't really put my finger on when I was animating. We'll see what he says about my revision next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment