Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Starting Animation Mentor!

Hey everyone! 
This is my first blog but I just started Animation Mentor and I really wanted to share my experience with everyone, especially friends and family who don't live here and always want to hear about what I'm working on! I hope to spread some knowledge to people who may not know a whole lot about the animation industry and to also share with fellow animators. For anyone who doesn't know, Animation Mentor is an online animation school started by industry animators who thought there could be a better way to teach students. The mentors are people who are actually in the industry right now and they each have about 9 students. During the 12 week class we start each week with a prerecorded lecture and an assignment. Once a week our mentor meets with us via Google Hangouts and gives us a lecture and answers any questions we have about the assignment that week or the industry in general. It's really great when they share experiences or pieces of work from movies they worked on in a way we've never seen before. Our assignments are due every Sunday and then our mentors take the time to give each one of us a personal e-critique on how we could improve our work. Right now I am in class one-Animation Basics week 4 with my boyfriend, Chris. Our Mentor is Mike Stern who worked at Dreamworks and now Pixar! He's worked on movies like How to Train Your Dragon (1 and 2), Kung Fu Panda, Monsters vs. Aliens, The Croods, and the upcoming Pixar film Inside Out. In addition to taking the time to meet with us and critique our work weekly he is also currently working on Pixar's next film. I'm so excited to be learning from someone who's worked on some of my favorite animated films!! Another great thing is getting to meet people from all over the world. In our class alone we have people from 3 different countries, all meeting at different times of their day in the same class with Mike. It's already an amazing experience. I'll be posting each of my assignments as we go along, and I'm already behind so I'll try to catch up!

Animation Mentor's website

No comments:

Post a Comment